Wednesday, January 27, 2010

another treat for the road

If you are anything like me you stress about what to serve for guests. Well rest assured that if Buddy the Elf and his sugar obsession visit you I have the PERFECT recipe. David asked if I would make a cake for a co-workers b-day but since I was too lazy to pull out all the cake stuff and destroy my kitchen with frosting I decided to go for a trifle...which looked silly considering I don't have a trifle dish (maybe when Buddy comes to visit he can put in a word to Santa for me!) I found this recipe ( www.mykitchencafe.blogspot.com ) and figured it met all the peanut butter and chocolate requirements. I have to admit when I was making it I felt like a 6 year old attempting to make an FHE treat by just grabbing everything that was in the pantry. I think it turned out pretty good though;)

1 9X13 pan of your favorite brownie recipe
10 ounce bag of peanut butter chips
5 ounce package vanilla instant pudding mix
3 cups milk
1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream, whipped and divided
20 regular sized (about 2 inches in diameter) peanut butter cups, divided

15-20 oreos chopped (it didn't call for it in the recipe but let's be honest can you go wrong with oreo....i didn't think so)

Line a 13 by 9 inch pan with aluminum foil, extend foil by 2 inches over side. Grease lightly with cooking spray. Prepare brownies according to the recipe. Add peanut butter chips. Bake in foil lined pan for length of time required. Cool completely.

Lift foil out of pan. Invert on cutting board. Remove foil. Cut into 3/4 inch pieces, using sharp knife.

Coarsely chop peanut butter cups; 1/4 cup for garnish.

Combine pudding mix and milk in large bowl. Beat at low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened (I had to chill mine for about 5 minutes to thicken it completely). Add peanut butter and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gently fold in half of whipped cream.

Place half of brownies in bottom of trifle bowl; top with 1/2 of chopped candy/oreo and half of pudding. Repeat layers. Top with remaining whipped cream, spooned or piped on. Garnish top with remaining peanut butter cups. This would work with any cookie/candy combo too! 

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Brutal. Now all I am going to be able to think about is this dessert. Totally brutal. How many does it serve? Would you 1/2 it if you only were serving about six??

Jill said...

Sounds good. I wish I had a sample! I think I'll have to try this one.

Jodee Luke said...

Ann-Marie....just make the whole thing, eat 1/2 in your bathroom and serve the rest to your guests!

Emily said...

this is evil. thanks for sharing it. :)

Brandon and Amber said...

Oh that sounds divine! Maybe I can justify making it for Valentine's Day. Calories don't count on holidays, right??