Friday, July 11, 2008

The more the berrier

Our new favorite Wisconsin tradition is picking strawberries and making freezer jam. I'm dreading the day we move from WI (uh...) and can't find a nice fruit farm to pick from. Could I scoot on down to the store and buy strawberries to make jam? Sure but where is the fun in that??? Anyway last year we picked 1 crate/box whatever it's called of strawberries, made a whimpy amount of jam that sadly only lasted us like 3 months. This year we decided to "go big or go home" and picked 2 crates and once again I am afraid that will still not last as long as I hoped. See I make a pb&j everyday...at the bay..in the month of May...it's the only way. I mix the pb&j so that it is as thick as the bread. Healthy? Probably not. Tasty? You bet your boots it is. So you can see why we run out of jam so quickly. Bummer. Maybe next year---I'll have to hire some kiddos to help me! Actually David was quite the helper this year and I think deep deep down he enjoyed it:)

5 comments:

Angie Lewis said...

Wow! Looks yummy! I remember when my mom made freezer jam when I was a kid, but I've never made it myself!

Kat and Steve said...

It's true, you can never have too much homemade jam. Those strawberries look delicious, I'm sure way better than anything you could ever buy at the store. Yum.

Brandon and Amber said...

I've never seen so many strawberries....and so much jam! Amy was sitting next to me when I was looking at them and shouted, "strawbee, strawbee!" She LOVES strawberries! It all looks so yummy!

Jason and Randa said...

that's alot of jam compared to my 5little cups. There is a lot of fruit trees in Arizona- maybe not strawberries but still. You should move on down!

Addie Gaylord said...

I am with Randa on this one!! Please come to Arizona and instead of strawberries maybe you could start making and canning salsa! Sounds good huh?