Sunday, January 13, 2008

Liar Liar our apartments on fire???

Ok so this morning I'm done getting ready for church and decide to e-mail a few people, while this is going on David is in the shower getting ready for church. All of the sudden I am inturupted with the LOUD earth-shattering beeping sound of the smoke detector going off. I run in to tell David what is happening (the sound was so loud I figured he was already deaf so I needed to explain the situation) he gets out and we try to make it stop. Disappointment fills the hall, the dang thing won't stop. I sprint to the phone (ok like 2 steps)to call my neighbor and apparently all of the smoke alarms are connected throughout the apts so they were having the same problem (pretty sure their 2 month old will never be able to hear) and she can't seem to shut hers off either. They call the landlord who calls the Butler Fire Department. This whole time all I could think about was how I need to get back to my e-mail before I forget what I was saying. Anyway a few minutes later the BFD pound on our door and rush in to make sure everything is ok (well maybe it wasn't that dramatic!)...I don't understand the steam from a shower??? In all seriousness the shower wasn't even THAT hot, nothing out of the ordinary that's for sure. Anyway they can't seem to make the siren stop-hey atleast it works right? We crack open the doors and have the fans on, it finally shuts off but the light keeps flickering. I guess there is a number that they need to punch in or something to make it stop, anyway the landlord doesn't know the number so he calls a guy who calls a guy etc. etc. Since I'm such a good person I went to church and left David to do the dirty work. (Hey after all I am the ward bulletin specialist and we all know what happens if people don't get their sacrament programs on time.) It turns out that the fire department and landlords were at our apt for like 3 1/2-4 hours and they need to come check out things tomorrow. Poor David everyone (me) thought he was staying home from church watching TV and livin' it up. My apologies to all my neighbors....I should really make them cookies or something.

8 comments:

Brooklyn said...

That is hilarious. I can't believe that it was a steamy shower! And that's true about the programs. What would happen if the people didn't get their programs. I'm just glad you are okay and there was no fire.

Mike, Anna, Mikelle and Kaylee said...

Just be glad that your husband showers in the morning and not at night while you were asleep..that would have been scary!

Kat & Steve said...

It's true...what's more important than the ward bulletin specialist! I swear, something like this would only happen to you!

{emily + russ} said...

i should've known you'd be the only one to pick up on my pee-wee quote--- i miss your "elaine" so much it hurts.

Karen said...

that happens to our 2nd bathroom all the time. The only time it gets used is when we have guests, but it never fails to set off the smoke detector. At least it's not linked to other apartments!

Clay and Katy said...

oh man that is funny :). and we are glad it wasnt a real fire...the alarm does seem pretty touchy! when i lived with my parents our smoke alarm went off if we were using the toaster so I feel your pain. hope it doesnt happen again!

Michelle and Matthew Williams said...

I tagged you. Go to my blog for details. http://michelledwilliams.blogspot.com

Ann-Marie said...

What a crack up!